Search Box

Monday, October 1, 2012

SAP TechED Conference

Guess where this guy will be headed in two weeks? If you said Las Vegas, then Winner Winner,  chicken dinner! Unless you neglected to read the title which I doubt you did. I'll be going to my first and hopefully many more SAP related conferences. This year the SAP TechED Conference will be held in Las Vegas, Nevada. I haven't been back to Las Vegas since I was younger and I look forward to seeing it again after all these years. I'll be staying at the lovely Venetian, which I've heard is quite nice. My company is sending me to learn about SAP Mobility, all the craze this season. Everybody likes a little mobility in their life and so do companies. I think that this will be a great opportunity for me to see SAP outside of the classroom and what industry people think about SAP. I have heard great things from my professor's in Chico who always seem to find time to go during the semester. Now it'll be my chance to bring home some stories of my own. Back to Mobility, the cloud, the words you hear in catchy advertising ads in magazines. Picture of doing your work from the airport or the plane for that matter. But do we really work in these places? We might maybe glance at a few e-mails and write some notes. But I can't comfortably tell a colleague I'll look over the slide deck from these places. Too much distractions. You have the bar twenty feet away and glaring television screens promoting their propaganda. Where as in the office you have people actually working and hopefully have closed all the social media tabs. It takes a really dedicated individual to keep the computer or tablet or any other mobility device business oriented. Hopefully SAP has some of those answers. Not only do I think they need to make work more appealing via Mobility services they have to stick to their standard of excellence. Our minds are constantly floating around to where we will be in the next twenty minutes that its hard to consistent work through out the day. And I'd assume this feeling would be amplified if you're working on the road. I'm not sure exactly how to define mobility yet. It gives you the freedom to work from anywhere, theoretically. Which gives it a huge advantage over traditional avenues of working. The freedom part is what scares me. Where will we be working if its going mobile. Does that mean working from home? People already do that without the need for new technology. Putting things on our phones needs development but can you actually type that powerpoint from your phone? I don't think so. So how does it really benefit your company when you go mobile. I think this is the bigger question than what the actual software does. This will be my food for thought. Other than that 3 Doors Down will be the headliner at the end of the conference pretty sweet. I'll make sure to let you all in after the event so look forward to my next post.

-Quincy

No comments:

Post a Comment